Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Spring and Summer Shopping in NYC

Frommer's NYC Free and Dirt Cheap (Frommer's Free & Dirt Cheap)Frommer's New York City 2010 (Frommer's Colour Complete Guides)New York (Eyewitness Travel Guides)Ohhh, Manhattan. New York City beckons me several times a year, for many different reasons. First and foremost, my oldest daughter lives in NYC in Gramercy Park ( I need to see her face every few months). Second- big city lights -museums, culture.........Third - SHOPPING....

I used to stay in a hotel prior to the free digs my daughter has to offer. My personal favorite is the Warwick, it is a boutique luxury hotel at reasonable prices. Make sure you book direct online, it is always a better deal than a travel site. The Warwick is located in the best part of town - Mid-town 6th and 54th area. You are in walking distance to the theater, Central Park, 5th Ave shopping, and tons more.  Second tip - Fly on Jet blue if you can, book directly on the website, they have great deals. I prefer to fly in and out of JFK - yes a taxi is more, but.... there are a lot more flights to choose from and Jet blue has a private terminal that is AMAZING!!!! Trust me, you will fall in love with flying again.

Now, even if you have been to NYC before, the double decker bus tour is the best way to see everything. Do the 48 hr with uptown-downtown and Brooklyn night tour. I love the subway and buses, get one of the books I have linked and you will have a good map for public transportation. I love the unlimited 7 days, you can use it on both. Cabs are great for getting somewhere in your fancy shoes or a quick ride to the play you are running late for.

Shopping......I know we all have different styles, habits and budgets, but expose yourself to new and different places while in the big apple. Don't go for the "usual" Gap-Abercrombie-Ann Taylor. You can get those at HOME! Take this list with you : Chelsea Market, China Town, Soho, Greenwich Village, 5th Avenue.

Here is my list that I always visit, ALWAYS....I will organize them by sections of town they are located. I will also throw in some eateries you cannot miss and won't waste shopping time. I try to get my major shopping all done in 1 day, then it's out of the way of CULTURE...lol
Downtown:
Century 21, China Town (short time), Pearl River, Anthropologie (1of2),Dean and Deluca for a coffee. Greenwich Village:_Street (Magnolia Bakery-
(Two Boots Pizza and Rice to Riches- lunch). ABC HOME(this is amazing - check out every floor), Union Square street artists, Loehmans, Daffy's, Macy's.

Uptown: These stores are for inspiration and maybe a cute shopping bag!
Bergdorf Goodman's, Tiffany's, Henry Bendel's, H&M, Zara, Anthropologie, Sephora, Bloomingdale's (Serendipity for dinner, make reservations)

No comments: